Unfortunately, Reddit racists are already using it as a “spot the difference” racist meme. (Better non-racist “spot the difference” memes: https://np.reddit.com/r/PoliticalHumor/comments/gtzx79/visible_confusion/ https://np.reddit.com/r/SelfAwarewolves/comments/gtebjk/spot_the_difference/)
Their other tactics today:
- It’s hard being white during this: total of 50,000 upvotes on posts in r/TrueOffMyChest
- It’s hard as a teenager who loves a cop: 21,000 upvotes on r/teenagers
- Misleading videos on ActualPublicFreakouts: “defending store” video (actually not a business owner and provoking people with a sword) 25,000 upvotes, white wheelchair woman sprayed with fire extinguisher (because she was stabbing people with a knife), white man covered in blood and car on fire (because he was shooting a bow and arrow at protesters while yelling “all lives matter”)
- “The word “latinx” isn’t progressive you’re just an ass”: 22,000 upvotes on r/unpopularopinion
Their other tactics on Reddit:
- “I’m normally pretty leftist but” here are conservative talking points
- “I hate Trump as much as the next guy but this subreddit has gone downhill” because of these conservative talking points that support Trump
- “I’m a Democrat but I’m voting for Trump/Republicans now” because of a single controversy like Netflix comedians and I suddenly don’t care about environmental issues, civil rights, corporate corruption, but also these conservative talking points that show I’ve actually never supported Democrats
- “unpopular opinions” by r/AsABlackMan with “I’m black and it’s okay to hate blacks”, “as a black man, injustices and abuse in America shouldn’t be discussed as much,” “as a China man, dogwhistling racism about China is okay,” “AS A FEMALE,” “I’m a minority and even I’ve had enough of r/politics” with 10,000 upvotes from white conservatives who want minorities to say that
- “whatever you do don’t read r/politics”
- r news downvoting actual top news and upvoting Fox News stories like a local crime story in a blue state preferably involving a mugshot of a black person, a bad transgender made all transgender people look bad, someone in a red state won the lottery at a Chick-fil-a and saluted a veteran, gun fantasies of someone using a gun in one of their dream burglar scenarios and not all the shootings of family members and suicides in America, even though r news bans political news, but Fox News stories with an agenda are not “political”
- r mapporn, r dataisbeautiful, r vexillology, r whatisthisthing with Nazi Germany maps and flags all the time (literally the top post on r/vexillology again right now) and “even though people in our state move to California and make it expensive, the real injustice is Californians moving to our state and voting for California things” like marijuana legalization or good environmental policies that help the economy
- “cRiMe StAtS,” “men’s rights,” and “women rape men” stories but rage at statistics and science that violate their narrative (American gun deaths statistics, misogyny statistics, rape statistics, “men commit 75% of all violent crime despite making up 49% of the population, make up 90% of the prison population, etc etc.” “black and white Americans use cannabis at similar levels but black Americans are 800% more likely to get punished for it even after legalization“) or police bias facts https://np.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/gu04j3/nypd_cop_pulls_down_peaceful_protestors_mask_to/fsgebto/
- “mAiNsTrEaM nEwS can’t be trusted so don’t bother reading this article! (I’m going to conveniently exclude from my definition of mAiNsTrEaM mEdIa Fox News, even though it’s the most watched TV news and Ben Shapiro is the most shared on Facebook and Joe Rogan in podcasts)”
- “The news site is cancer amirite! Let’s talk about that instead of the issue presented!”
- “If you actually watch the 4 hour video- but don’t watch the videos before it that actually confirm the Covington MAGA are racist misogynists!”
- “don’t politicize this tragedy” when it makes conservatives look bad especially if it’s about guns or police, but upvote and look at this minority or a woman doing a bad thing and politicize it and relate it to needing guns somehow
- “stop being sensitive” but rage at facts about guns in America or Starbucks holiday cups because of their projection onto Democrats of “triggered” “snowflakes,” wasteful spending, election fraud, child abuse by Republicans
- “facts don’t care about your feelings” while ignoring science and facts because of their conservative feelings
- concern trolling “it’s okay to be white,” “blue lives matter,” “all lives matter” except senior citizens during coronavirus for the stock market, police abuse victims, police who could use better training, Italians and other whites if they’re too dark
- racist terms don’t bother them, so the real injustice is not being able to use racist taunts
- context and history/injustices don’t matter, especially when discussing American history or African development
- racists and anti-racists are equally bad
- misogynists and feminists are equally bad
- vegetarians and pro-animal rights are equally bad as factory farms animal torture, and trophy hunting trapped elephants is a good thing (“Joe Rogan and his guests also misrepresent ecology when discussing hunting. They try to shoehorn in some “need” to hunt for conservation sack and make it seem like they are doing the world a favor by hunting. No serious restoration ecologist agrees with this. He gets fringe “experts” who profit from hunting to spout nonsense, just like most of his guests speaking about other topics, enough to sound smart but are on the fringe and are profiting off of their misinformation.”)
- Democrats are equally bad as Republicans so don’t vote or volunteer, and trying to make things better is for losers because they see their selfish laziness and sociopathic nihilism as rugged individualism and red pill epiphanies normies haven’t evolved to
Steve Bannon bragging about these tactics:
the power of what he called “rootless white males” who spend all their time online and they could be radicalized in a kind of populist, nationalist way
Bannon: “You can activate that army. They come in through Gamergate or whatever and then get turned onto politics and Trump.”
r/Gamingcirclejerk captures them doing their thing.
These tactics have been successful for a while.
John Ehrlichman, who partnered with Fox News cofounder Roger Ailes since 1968 on the Republican “Southern Strategy”:
[We] had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying?
We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities.
We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news.
Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.
“He was the premier guy in the business,” says former Reagan campaign manager Ed Rollins. “He was our Michelangelo.”
Ailes repackaged Richard Nixon for television in 1968, papered over Ronald Reagan’s budding Alzheimer’s in 1984, shamelessly stoked racial fears to elect George H.W. Bush in 1988, and waged a secret campaign on behalf of Big Tobacco to derail health care reform in 1993.
Hillarycare was to have been funded, in part, by a $1-a-pack tax on cigarettes. To block the proposal, Big Tobacco paid Ailes to produce ads highlighting “real people affected by taxes.”
Every day I have to marvel at what the billionaires and FOX News pulled off. They got working whites to hate the very people that want them to have more pay, clean air, water, free healthcare and the power to fight back against big banks & big corps. It’s truly remarkable.
Lyndon Johnson in 1960 calling out their tactics:
If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.
A playbook that they brag about on their subreddits:
Nazi strategy: "Leftists will recognize dog whistles and know we're crypto, but normies won't listen to them." pic.twitter.com/YSkLp1J95C— ContraPoints (@ContraPoints) August 13, 2017
https://medium.com/@DeoTasDevil/the-rhetoric-tricks-traps-and-tactics-of-white-nationalism-b0bca3caeb84 (explanations of the screenshots)